Leepa Valley, situated within the massive Himalayan Mountains appears as a beautiful haven in Azad Kashmir. With its stunning scenery and peaceful appeal, this hidden gem invites tourists to enter a world where nature’s beauty comes to life. Lush meadows, flowing rivers, and towering hills build a captivating picture that tells a story of Earth’s beauty. Leepa Valley is a place where time appears to slow down, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the relaxing embrace of nature’s treasures. It is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Azad Kashmir. This Valley offers a timeless getaway for people looking for serenity among the beauties of the natural world.
Places to Visit in Leepa Valley
Reshian, located 67 kilometers west of Muzaffarabad, serves as an entrance to the magical region of Leepa Valley. It is situated at a height of 1674 meters above sea level. The journey continues from here, as the scenery transforms into a magnificent picture seeking to be explored. To travel deeper into the valley, rent a vehicle and start on a tour that promises both adventure and discovery.
Dao Khan, only 75 kilometers from Muzaffarabad, appears as a masterpiece of nature’s art. This location is known for its extraordinary beauty and provides a calm getaway. Dao Khan’s atmosphere is characterized by peace and coolness, offering relief from the pressures of daily life. Its visual beauty is nothing short of breathtaking, with panoramic views stretching as far as the eye can reach.
Leepa Village, located at an elevation of 1921 meters above sea level, is the enchanting center of Leepa Valley. This lovely town is located around 38 kilometers from Reshian and approximately 60 kilometers from Nail. The attractiveness of the village is found in its lush rice fields, traditional wooden cottages that mirror Kashmiri architectural style, and trees filled with apple, walnut, and cherry trees. The landscape comes alive with color throughout the summer months, as golden apple varieties, tasty fruits, and the rich aroma of honey attract the senses. Leepa Village is the most visited place in Leepa Valley, and also one of the main reasons to visit Leepa Valley.
Chananian, located opposite the village of Leepa near the Line of Control (LOC), presents itself as a serene haven that catches the heart. It is situated at an elevation of 2226 meters and is like the guardian of nature’s serenity. The village is around 60 kilometers from Naily and is surrounded by vast pine trees. It is also one of the most beautiful places to visit in Leepa Valley.
Suggested Read: Explore the Beautiful and Must-Visit Places in Hunza Valley
Best time to visit Leepa Valley
The summer months, from May to September, are undoubtedly the best time to visit the beautiful Leepa Valley. During this time, the meadows come to life with the beauty of wildflowers, producing a stunning tapestry of colors with bright blue skies. The weather is nice throughout these months, making them excellent for outdoor adventures and experiences. Streams noise with fresh water, while the mountains stand tall, covered in a lush green beauty. It’s a time when the entire valley is in full bloom, welcoming visitors with open arms. Whether you’re captivated by the vibrant colors of spring or the serenity of summer, visiting Leepa Valley during this season guarantees a wonderful experience with nature’s splendor.
- Sturdy Footwear: As you explore the diverse terrains of Leepa Valley, from meadows to trails, a pair of comfortable and sturdy hiking shoes is essential. They provide ankle support and grip, ensuring a safe and enjoyable trek.
- Weather-Appropriate Clothing: Leepa Valley’s weather can vary throughout the day, so it’s wise to pack layers of clothing. Lightweight and breathable fabrics are great for the daytime, while warmer layers are needed for cooler evenings.
- Rain Gear: Rain showers are common in the mountains, so a compact and waterproof rain jacket can save the day. Additionally, a small umbrella or a waterproof cover for your backpack can come in handy.
- Backpack: A lightweight and comfortable backpack is essential to carry your essentials. Make sure it’s spacious enough to hold your water bottle, snacks, camera, and any other personal items you may need.
- Sun Protection: Leepa Valley’s altitude can intensify the sun’s rays. Pack a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses with UV protection, and sunscreen to shield yourself from the sun.
- First Aid Kit: A basic first aid kit with essentials like adhesive bandages, antiseptic wipes, pain relievers, and any personal medications is crucial for any outdoor adventure.
- Cash: Some areas in Leepa Valley might not have ATMs or card payment facilities, so having enough cash on hand for local purchases is a good idea.
How to get to Leepa Valley from Islamabad?
Traveling to Leepa Valley from Islamabad is an adventure that takes you through picturesque landscapes and winding roads. Here’s a general guide on how to get there:
Islamabad to Murree: The total distance from Islamabad to Leepa Valley is approximately 300 Km, and takes 7-8 hours of driving to reach Leepa Valley. Start your journey by heading towards Murree on the Murree Expressway. Murree is 70 Km away from Islamabad. This scenic drive takes you through the lush Margalla Hills and offers glimpses of Islamabad’s beauty.
Murree to Kohala: From Murree, continue your drive towards Kohala, which is approximately 40 km from Murree and the gateway to Azad Kashmir.
Head to Muzaffarabad: After reaching Kohala, you’ll need to cross the Line of Control (LOC) Bridge. Make sure you have the necessary travel documents and permits to cross into Azad Kashmir. Once you cross the LOC Bridge, you’ll enter Azad Kashmir. Drive to Muzaffarabad, the capital of Azad Kashmir, where you can rest, refresh, and explore if you have time.
Muzaffarabad to Reshian: From Muzaffarabad, take the road that leads to Leepa Valley. The first major stop is Reshian, which is about 67 kilometers west of Muzaffarabad. This is where you’ll need to rent jeeps to continue your journey into the valley.